Monday, October 03, 2011

The Summer of Fun, part 2

We refer to the summer of 1999 as "the summer of fun." We had just met, were taking only a few credits at BYU over the summer (Stewart actually had a full courseload, but I made him act like he only had one class-he still blames me for his sub-par performance in french phonetics) and we spent a lot of time playing, his apartment and my apartment and those associated with us. We did things like crawled through Nutty Putty caves, walked along University Ave, had bbq's and played ultimate frisbee and went bowling. At the time I was taking a bowling class, and a religion class on LDS family and marriage so I figured that going bowling with guys counted as studying for both :) Less than a year later the husband and I were married. We kept having fun, but nothing took the title away from that summer.

But the summer of 2011 comes close, in my opinion. Stewart took one class for the first half of the summer, but other than that he just had his 9-5 internship with little to no homework. So we played. A lot. And I loved it.

Before summer actually began we went hiking along the Niagara River. Talk about amazing.


We started the summer by spending Memorial Day weekend in Canton, with some good friends. It was pretty and quiet and I was somehow able to sleep without the sounds of Buffalo all around at night. And we made some terrible food choices over those 4 days.

We spent a weekend in June in the Rochester/Victor area. It's beautiful there. And so close to the Palmyra temple.

On July 3 we crashed a party across the street. Best way to meet your neighbors. For Independence Day we hosted a bbq for some of the husband's law school peeps and then watched the fireworks by the lake. So nice. Except for when Stewart dropped a box of flooring tiles on his toe. Part of it is still black. This is the view over the lake before the fireworks.


Then, later in July, Stewart and I ran a 15k in Utica. My time wasn't great but it was a great race. Utica really turns out for it, probably because they don't have anything else going for them. The zoo had some animals along the side of the street at one point. And they had people handing out Popsicles.

We had a few trips back east to the Albany area, and spent one Sunday at a family reunion in Massachusetts, celebrating the 90th birthday of Stewart's grandmother.


Here's Stewart at our friends' house in the mountains somewhere around Albany, where we stayed for one of our weekends out there.

We also went to several Buffalo Bisons baseball games. I don't know if they won any of them.


And in August we had our friends the Cotons visit for a short weekend. We went to Niagara Falls and rode the Maid of the Mist

and visited Fort Niagara, which is located right near the point where the Niagara River meets Lake Ontario. We could see Toronto in the distance. They did a reenactment of a battle and then we wandered through the buildings and got a feeling for what life was like in the fort.


We also saw both plays that were put on as part of Shakespeare in the Park and went for walks and runs and strolled down Elmwood Avenue. I was sad to see the summer end and for Stewart to start school again and be busy, but I'm also enjoying the quiet-ness of autumn.

4 comments:

Lempskies said...

My husband used to call '99 the "summer o' fun" too until I pointed out that he shouldn't glorify TOO much the months just BEFORE we were together. It sounds like I was the end of fun.

I guess we need to have a new summer that deserves the same title like you have. (It just couldn't include races or camping b/c he hates those things. Seems like most our fun trips are at other seasons of the year. I'll put some thought into that...)

Mrs Coops said...

Glad you guys had a great summer, we had a brilliant winter, at the same time... ;D

Roy said...

'99 was a fun summer. But I'm hurt that you consider 2011 so fun when you didn't see the New Mexico Turners at all...

Megan, John and kids said...

Sounds like a great summer,glad you had so much fun, and I hope that going back to school isn't too awful for Stew or for you.