Sunday, July 10, 2011

Musings on the Boilermaker

The husband and I ran the boilermaker 15k this morning. We woke up at 4am to get the race in time to pick up our numbers and all that. Here are some of the highlights:
  • Hearing the National Anthem twice today, once played by the Navy band after the race. I also thoroughly enjoyed hearing it before the race, when 13000 runners spontaneously started singing along.
  • The little white girls whose t-shirts read "Kenyan in Training."
  • The dude who had "Boilermaker virgin" written on his back. I guess the husband and were too. Glad we lost that together.
  • The Mile 5 Popsicle stand. There were some at the end as well.
  • Getting beaten by both my nearly 65 year old FIL and the husband with gimpy toe and a gimpy knee.
  • Accomplishing something I set out to do at the beginning of the year.
  • The shower I enjoyed upon arriving home.
On August 3rd the husband and I begin our 12 week training program for the half marathon we're running in October.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

I was hoping for some more gnarly details. Like "I threw up on Stew at the popsicle stand." or "I ruptured my spleen with 1 mile to go." I get beat by old men and gimps all the time, it's just not that newsworthy.

dastew said...

I felt like something was going to rupture at mile 3, but then I found a toilet....is that too much Ryan?

Lempskies said...

You guys are funny. And admirable-we're trying to incorporate more exercise into our routine (I mean in ADDITION to the highly competitive wii bowling championships at our house).

Megan, John and kids said...

So, I'm totally late in my congrats, but I'm glad that you had a great run, and I hope that your training is on track for the half. Good luck with that!