Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sleep! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

It is almost 1am here, and I just finished my Civil Procedure homework. I have in the last two weeks read more and denser material than I have this year. Two weeks in I have a few insights into myself and the whole law school experience that I thought I'd share.

1. I'm old. It may not seem it to some of our more mature readers, but the average age of my classmates is 24. 24!!! I last saw that almost a decade ago. Further, my age shows itself when I laugh at the professors dated jokes. For example yesterday...well two days ago technically given the late hour...my civil procedure professor showed us a clip of Seinfeld. For me and the 30 year old sitting next to me this was not only perfectly normal but made for nostalgia. I don't think the younglings got it. I mean what's not to get about the Soup Nazi.



2. If a professor doesn't call on you because you've monopolized all the class discussion and taken the class on a tangent that wasn't in the lesson plan it's probably time to put your hand down. Participation points don't count for being the loudest.

3. Sleep deprivation isn't a medical condition it is a way of life (see also the Law School Rule of Caffeine=If you're not caffeinated you're not studying hard enough).

4. If you were to make a pie chart of my Library Usage it would probably look like this:



5. Buffalo is the bastard, inbred, red-headed (no offense to gingers reading this it simply is a list playing on preconceived stereotypes and in no way reflects personal animus against them), child of Canada and the Midwest. On the one hand we can watch Canadian tv here. It's a hoot! They have a parliament and they have this weird temperature system that means if it's 20 it's t-shirt weather. That might just be because their Canadian. On the other hand people call soda, pop. I mean honestly what the crap is that about?

So those are my first impressions. Am I surprised that I'm back in school? Not really, we all knew that it was coming eventually. Will I do well in it? Probably, I always enjoyed being graded (especially when the latter came back favorable to my ego). Will I help you with your will? Not until I pass the bar so don't ask me. Oh and when I do pass it I demand my filthy lucre. I'm not doing this pro bono you cheapskates. :)

Since I'm tired here's a clip from my favorite Simpsons ever:

7 comments:

Roy said...

Law school sounds much more awesome than I would have expected.

Chelle Ellsworth said...

I especially like the pie chart.

Rachel said...

The pie chart was, without a doubt, a sound investment of your time. (That being said, perhaps you should have included a sliver of pie for the building of fascinating, though academically useless, pie charts.) And, of course, this is coming to you at 11:30 pm while my husband sleeps soundly in the next room and I should be reading the classics from early cultural anthropological authors. Our genetic makeup suggests an impressive ability to procrastinate, ignore, and generally dodge our required academic work for as long as possible until it becomes utterly impossible to escape. At which point we go for nights without sleep, produce fascinating texts, and receive outstanding marks for our performances. People should stop rewarding out natural inclination to put off our work. If they don't, I fear that you and I will not get a solid night's sleep until we complete our respective degrees.

Rachel said...

And that should read "our" natural inclination. Not "out." I am obviously in need of sleep.

dastew said...

Pie charts are fun.

Sadly Rachel my current sleep deprivation has nothing to do with procrastination, I am actually ahead if you believe. Instead it relates to the overwhelming work load involved in law school and my commitment to get everything right this time through.

Oh and you should appreciate my next blog post it relates to an event that you'll find very amusing and typical of your brother.

Ryan said...

You should have more Simpsons clips, it's the best part of your blog. I have a CD for you, I promise I'll send it someday.

Lempskies said...

I have a signed photograph of the Soup Nazi in my kitchen to inspire me. (Actually, I HAD a photo until we staged our house & put the bulk of our eclectic junk in the crawl space).

I miss Seinfeld too. But I don't really miss law school. I really enjoyed the lectures & cases we studied at the time, but the immature classmates were annoying to me even when I was their same age.