Monday, March 15, 2010

I used to be cool

Married people are boring. Ok, maybe not all of us, but most of us are and I enjoy it. A good night for me is reading for a few hours before going to bed at a reasonable hour. I don't really enjoy concerts, with a very few exceptions.

But one thing that almost all married people seem to enjoy is a game night with other married people. Even better if dinner is involved. And when you have similarly aged children who can play together, even better still.

In the early (Provo) days of our marriage we started playing Settlers of Catan, which was ok becuase it was trendy at least among those least of the trendy, the married. Nertz was ok because it tends to get violent.

But in the past year or so we've slowly moved into less trendy, weirder, and yes, nerdier games. Ticket to Ride and Carcasonne were ok. Even Fluxx is alright, unless you pick up the zombie version, then you're maybe one step from seeing zombie movies on opening night (early show so as to not miss a decent bed time, of course).

Then for Christmas I got Husband Munchkin. I told myself that it was for him, but I kind of enjoy it. Maybe it's because he has yet to beat me. Maybe it's because he has turned me into the kind of woman he always wanted, instead of my improving/changing him.

But Friday night marked another rung on my ladder to nerddom, Shadows over Camelot. It's maybe a step away from going to RenFairs. And I enjoyed it enough to play it again last night.

7 comments:

Kendra Leigh said...

Nertz! Nertz! Nertz! I'll never get tired of it.

Jon and Chelle said...

What about bananagrams? I love me a night filled with Carls Jr and bananagrams!

Ryan said...

I hope it means I'm a long way from being a nerd since don't recognize any of those games.

John, Megan and girls said...

I hear you. Although, it's always you guys who seem to introduce us to the nerdy games. Just so long as you don't start making your own wench costumes and hanging out at those RenFairs. But, just between the two of us, I still think you're cool.

nertzfan said...

It's cool to see others that know about Nertz. You should definitely check out http://www.playnertz.com/ , the site for the National Nertz Association. There is a bunch of interesting Nertz information, videos, and photos there AND you can play Nertz on-line for free. I recommend it to all Nertz players! So cool. =)

Coop said...

Ryan, I also have not heard of any of these games, but I don't play any computer games, and games nights with other couples seemed to end when our life in the US ended, now all our games sit in a wooden chest wanting to get out ... if we ever had time between everything else

Alissa said...

i am a bit sad that we don't live close enough to be gamenerd buddies anymore.