Saturday, January 02, 2010

Democracy at work

Okay here's the problem. Wife and I have this competition going. In calender year 2009 she trounced me in the annual "I can read more books than you" competition. I have no excuses except that I really love DirecTV. This year I refuse to be beaten again so I'm setting up the blog to track the number of books I read, audio books don't count.

That said we're starting the year off with controversy. Wife in her usual efficiency finished her last book of 2009, Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson, with a day to spare. Thus allowing her to start the year off with a fresh book.

I however am not as good a planner and so ended the year with about 180 pages left in the book that I'd been reading for the better part of the last six months (I'd read other books while reading this one). I finally finished it today. The book is The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan. It was a fantastic book and I really enjoyed it. The debate as it currently stands is whether or not this book should count toward my 2010 book list. I say because I had over 150 pages left in the book it should count. Wife disagrees. I thus put it to a vote, if you think it should count toward my 2010 total speak now. If you disagree, don't say anything because I don't want to lose.



For those of you reading this on Facebook or through an RSS feed go here to vote. Remember for every person who reads this but doesn't vote, a Unicorn gores a fairy like Tinkerbell and then tramples its broken body singing "Who's your daddy now", while all the barbies with limbs/heads broken off them come back to life to reek vengeance on those who wronged them. So for goodness sakes VOTE! lest the barbie apocalypse destroy us all.

8 comments:

Wife of dastew said...

I never said it shouldn't count, I just say it should have an asterisk next to it. It can be said that you finished half a book this year before I did.
Not that it will matter anyway. Between your love of Directv and me having to wait to get picked up from work more often than not it should be an easy victory for me.

La Yen said...

I think it should count ONLY because I am making it count on my book total this year.
That being said, your wife is much better than the two of us and our love of DirecTV.
I am trying to read books that will make me look smarter. So even if you both read more than me, I will be able to smug it up with you.

Alissa said...

i need to know how many pages the book has total... if you read less than half the book in 09, in counts in 010.

Blake and Jen said...

I see way too many loop holes in this competition. But then again, I'm one to look for the loop holes. Instead of counting books maybe you could keep a tally of pages read. My "children books" tally adds up pretty quick. Good luck Stew, but my money is on wife.

jlbunting.com said...

I agree with Alissa. How many pages total?

dastew said...

480 or so.

Chelle Ellsworth said...

It totally counts. For both years.

panini said...

no way! you can't count last year's book!!