Friday, October 23, 2009

The Last Book On Earth

So we were discussing literature the other night, and Wife posed the question "If you had one book (non-scriptural) and one book only to read for the rest of your life what would it be?"

This is a hard question. I'm not a great reader of fiction as most of you know. College ruined fiction in many ways for me. I spent too much time reading histories and ethnographies. Now I have no idea where to start when I enter the fiction section of Borders. The sheer number of tomes in the fiction section makes me believe that most of them must suck. I can't believe that there are that many quality writers in the world.

In any case if I were to choose just one book to read for the rest of my life, I'd have to choose Watership Down. Now let me explain that this is not the greatest novel of all time nor even my favorite novel. But it seems to me that the inherent optimism of this novel is something I'd need in a world where I only had one book to read.

In any case this whole exercise reminded me of one of the greatest shows of all time. The original Twilight Zone; for those who think I'm referring to a show about vampires, well there's no hope for you. One of the greatest episodes of Rod Serling's masterful program starred Mickey from the Rocky movies. His real name is Burgess Meredith but honestly he'll always be Mickey to me. In any case in the episode "Time Enough at Last," Meredith plays a beaten man who happens to be a book worm. If you have half an hour check it out. After watching it I wonder why television sucks so badly these days, it didn't always.

4 comments:

Mia said...

That's my all time favorite Twilight Zone episode. It's my nightmare.

Watership Down is an odd choice. It's about war!

I'd have to go with something longer with several interwoven storylines. The Poisonwood Bible, maybe. Or something by Tolstoy. Anna Karenina, possibly. Hmmm...

Chelle Ellsworth said...

Never read it, and probably never will. but, I do like your jogger guy on your blog =)

dastew said...

Mia you're probably right, but I also have this belief that rabbits are always happy. I'm not sure why but here we are. The whole blog was so that I could post that Twilight Episode and have some rhyme and/or reason with posting it.

Kristi said...

This episode of Twilight Zone drives me particularly crazy, I must have some phobia of being "stuck".