Friday, February 27, 2009

Book Lists

My snobbery knows no bounds. I can freely admit this, in fact by so doing I increase my snobbery quotient 110%. Fortunately for me, my douchebaggery has decreased exponentially since marrying Wife (she makes up for my tendency toward douchiness). Now one might think that this is not possible, the standard equation is usually rendered:
Douchebaggery=((Snobbery+Oakley Shades) x Tattoos)2
However recent trends have changed this formula significantly. It can now be rendered as follows:
Douchebaggery=((Truck Nuts+Spoilers on Honda Civic) x Tattoos)2
This is known alternatively as the Dane Cook Quotient or the Uncle Ricco Theorum.

Now why do I bring up my snobbiness you might ask? Well let me tell you. Recently that greatest of time wasters, Facebook has been deluged by a meme purportedly from the BBC telling you that you're smarter than the average person because you've read more than six of these books. Let's ignore the fact that Dan Brown (that loathsome butt boil of the litterary world) made the list, or that Dune almost broke the top 50 (when we all know that was Patrick Stewart's worst movie) or that Jane Austin inexplicably came in at number one on the list (this is a bit like Day's of our Lives being hailed as the greatest TV show of all time). The fact is that it takes you five seconds of googling to realize that this list is complete bilge.

Yes the BBC did a list but it wasn't an editors choice, it was a readers poll and while there are some good reads on there this is hardly a list for an English Lit graduate class. After looking around a bit on the Interwebz I found a list that some more reputable people at the Modern Library had put together of the 100 greatest novels. Sadly I've read only 10 on the reader's list and 5 on the editor's. I think I like the Facebook list better I'd read 28 of those. Does that make me less of a snob?



Now since I haven't added this in awhile here's a new video from Blitzen Trapper. I could listen to this song all day, it's got a cool Dylanesque quality to it. Enjoy. (Oh and if you're reading this on Facebook, link to this actual site because honestly watching my visitor count go up helps stroke my ego and you won't be able to see this vid on FB.)

5 comments:

Mia said...

I'm loving the facebook list even more now. John at 27, Stew at 28, and Mia at 41! (And I've read none of the Jane Austens, so it's not because that list is skewed for the ladies.)

Alissa said...

4 on the board list. only 11 on the reader list. i like reading mindless drivel.

La Yen said...

That math makes my day.

Doug said...

Stew, does this mean I can increase my snobbery level or do you need to decrease yours? We both know I am definitely not an english lit. major and I've read: 27 from the BBC list, 8 from the editor's list at Modern Library, and 29 from the Reader's List at Modern Library.

I guess if you read enough you'll get a lucky break once in awhile on these lists.

mr. jo bloggity said...

Why do we need to read books? We have television!