Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merci mes amis

Pride is an interesting thing in that it can be both virtue and vice. Pride in family, country, or other accomplishments should be considered virtuous. The stubborn pride of many who look askance at offered help or refuse to lift the burdens of others because they "got where they are on their own" is certainly a vice.

I like most people possess both forms. For example I can't express how proud I am of Wife for finishing her degree while holding down a full-time job and taking care of that incompetent dolt who is her husband.

On the other hand, too often I have insisted on doing things on my own, believing in my infinite wisdom that if the instructions can be found in a book I can do whatever it is that I don't know how to do. Sometimes this stubbornness works out, sometimes I end up with my legs dangling through a hole in the ceiling.

The past few months have proved to be rather Jobian for me. Carpenter ants, broken truck, large expenses to fix the truck, dead dryer, dying car, again broken truck have all played their part to break me. In all of this I've been forced to look to others for help. I just wanted to thank everyone who's gone out of their way to help me. It proves that there are still good people in this world and to paraphrase Bilbo Baggins: "I don't appreciate half of you as well as I ought and I appreciate less than half of you half as well as you deserve". Thanks.

4 comments:

m3ng said...

Good thing you have people around to help you! And you just had to work in a LOTR quote, huh...

museumeg said...

You can never go wrong with a Bilbo quote. Sorry you've had a rough time lately. Pride is definitely a double-edged sword.

Mr. Jobloggity said...

I'm not sure if I should be gratified or offended. Maybe I'll take the easy route and go with offense. ;)

Anytime you feel like thanking us in person, you know where we live.

Troy said...

Why is it that any friend living outside of NY or PA is a Utard? I don't think its a fitting category for us, afterall, we moved from there before you did. That's the problem with dichotomous divisions in the world...Jew and Gentile, Republican and Democrat, Smart People and Texans...it tends toward over-simplification and even insult (particularly if a Smart Person reads your blog to a Texan). Is it too much to ask for a separate category?