Saturday, November 29, 2008

She is smart, smarter than me

Well it's happened and it's my own fault. Years after dropping out of my graduate program, Wife has finished her MBA. Thus passing me in the aggregate degree count, making the current score Wife 2, Husband 1.

Now for most of you married people you understand the trauma I'm going through. For the rest let me explain. For all the talk of loving, honoring, and cherishing your spouse at the wedding, marriage is actually a competition (sometimes war) where both sides vie for dominance over the social contract into which they have bound themselves. Every action taken by either side is designed to score them points on the marriage score card.

For example putting the toilet seat down without being asked is worth 2 points for the average man, for a jerk it could be a 5 point bonus. A wife buying something nice at Victoria Secret could be 10 points for a woman. Or for example sitting down and watching a hockey game with your husband...well that's priceless. You'll notice the scoring system is a bit erratic.

But for Wife to have finished her MBA while I'm merely a bachelor's holder, that's like the head shot with which Ivan Drago took out Apollo Creed (if only I was as cool as Apollo Creed, the man was a legend). I guess it means that I've lost this match.

Congratulations honey! I love you.

12 comments:

Wife of dastew said...

Do I have to be awake for the hockey game or can I be napping on the other couch? If I'm napping and cuddled up to you, does that add or detract from the points awarded for watching said hockey game. And, if the game takes place, say, on your honeymoon, how many points do I gain for not leaving my husband of less than a week? All hypothetical, of course.

museumeg said...

Carolyn, you crack me up! Congratulations!

La Yen said...

Congrats!! W finds himself in the same situation. In fact, I like to write "Dr. and Mr. W" on the Sac. mtng. program just to irritate him. (Maybe by the time I am 50...)

Alissa said...

congratulations! you deserve something special as a reward... how about a trip to sunny FL.

Kristi said...

Does this mean you are going to open your own restaurant or something?

Michelle said...

In our point system everything is worth a million. Jon just won a million because I bet him blue ray dvd's would play in a regular dvd player...but they don't =(. Congratulations big sister!!

ma turner said...

Way to go!! I am so very proud of you. I keep thinking I need to get a Master's Degree just to keep up with the smart members of my family. No--that would take too much ambition. (And I don't have any of that.) WE will have a graduation party in August when you are out this way.

Roy said...

Congrats! Of course, an MBA is not as cool as an MA, but you take what you can get. And who'd have thought that you'd be the financial wiz among the Turner kids?
When we were engaged, Summer and I devised a grade point system (HPA and WPA, for hubbie and wife, respectively) that would reflect one's relative success in the relationship. I like Stew's point system, and I bet Carolyn's got a 5million point lead by now...

Justin said...

Don't worry about it, Stew... I'm at 0 and Michelle's at 3 (BS/MS/DPT). I just focus on putting the seat down multiple times to make up for it.

Anonymous said...

If you are lucky enough to marry one of the very few nearly perfect women to grace this earth the spousal competition is meaningless.

Congratulations Carolyn -- MBA's really are the best.

DAD

Kendra Leigh said...

Wow, Carolyn. Good job! Congrats on hanging in there and actually finishing....

John, Megan and girls said...

Congraulations Carolyn! Sorry, Stew. And, of course, I love Carolyn's hypotheticals, does this mean that you're going to have to make up an official point system for your marriage?