Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Engagged


Quiz time. We wanted to get the opinion of you, the blog readers, on something of great importance. Our friend and former roommate (guess which one of us), Cami (can't link you because she took her formerly excellent blog offline. That's okay we only hate her a little bit because of it), recently announced her upcoming nuptials. For this we are most excited, but having looked at her incredibly gorgeous ring we are left with several questions relating to engagedness.

1. Should the "question" be a surprise or a previously agreed to arrangement?
2. Should the man pick the ring out on his own or should the woman have a voice in choosing it?
3. If the man opts for a family heirloom engagement ring, can the woman refuse it in favor of her own ring?
4. (for women) If he breaks off the wedding and had given you an heirloom ring can you keep it? What about if it's one that you picked out?
5. If your mother-in-law offers to make you (or your wife) lingerie, are you justified in calling off the wedding?


All these questions will be posted on the side for your vote and we encourage any and all conversation relating to them in our comments section.


In other news. I'm turning old again soon. That's right number 31 is right around the corner and I think it only fitting that wife get me something really nice. So I'd like all our regular readers to petition her to get me this:



It's electric and therefore good for the earth. I'm worth it right?

13 comments:

La Yen said...

So, I have personal experience with the heirloom ring. W gave me his grandmother's ring, which is lovely, but not my style. When we got engaged (which I knew we would do, but not the exact moment when) he gave it to me, because it was all he could afford. (Red Flag!!) So on our 10th anniversary I went to the jewelry store and picked out the one I have always dreamed of. Then I called him and said "Guess what you got me?" (Red Flag!!) So we both win!

And for you birthday I am going to make you lingerie.

Jon and Chelle said...

i just lol'd. My votes are in. This is funny in soo many ways. really.

Jon's votes are the same as mine, except he wishes he could vote for 'accept graciously, use the lingerie, and take pictures for her' for the last question. He is also for heirloom rings (remember he did give me one!) as long as the 'rules' are straight forward when its given (ie, no taking it back a year later...)

Wife of dastew said...

My opinion is still this: She's already settling for you for the rest of her life (or longer) so don't ask her to settle for a ring she doesn't really like. If you pop the question with an heirloom ring, let her replace it with something of her choosing when it is feasible, or at least don't gaff when she does it herself for, say, a 10th anniversary. For my tenth I am getting some big diamond earrings, preferably the blood type (I like to think people would kill for my bling) and I'd better have a say in what they look like, ie how freaking big they are.

Alissa said...

my only comment is to say that if you break off the engagement, you should give all rings back... however, if you get married and in a couple years decide to divorce, the ring is hers, bitch.

Summer said...

Rings? Bleh! I'm glad we decided to be nonconformist and opt for a simpler, less-debt-inducing, way.
And sewing lingerie for another person is just a little too personal and icky for my taste!

Roy @ CNM said...

This is why I have the best wife in the world (it's actually reason #47 of 568).

Kendra Leigh said...

My answer to most of those questions is: it depends. No, I'm not elaborating further. And I actually want the heirloom ring Matt was going to give me. It didn't fit my finger at the time, and due to its elegant French design, cannot be resized. Guess I better lose some weight in my finger.

jlbunting.com said...

so if there is a divorce after a few years is there any problem with the new husband making himself a ring out of the wife's old diamond? just curious if you think that's weird

dastew said...

Oh I don't feel qualified to make a call on that Becky. perhaps you should put a poll on your blog regarding that conundrum. That said my instinct would be no there's no problem with it.

And for the record the lingerie thing is real...any yet my poor wife stayed with me.

Mr Jo Bloggity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr Jo Bloggity said...

Old!

Cami said...

delighted you like my darling bling. :) it's lovely to have an heirloom to pass on, but if it's not something she loves, make it a right-hand ring or a necklace.

Coops said...
This comment has been removed by the author.