Monday, April 14, 2008

Why expand the culinary palette

There are three main food groups in America. These groups go by the names of their originating locale:




1. Carny food.
Characterized by lots of oil, mostly boiled. This group produced corn dogs, curly fries and deep fried twinkies. Of course the king of this food group is the legendary hot dog. Deep fried if you can find it.



2. Convenience food. This is the sub-group made famous by the convenience store though it is equally at home in the freezer isle and check out line of most stores. The apogee of this food group is the frozen burrito. Though this is a dish best known for its tendency to be tasted twice. Of course if you can combine this group with group one as in the above picture you might achieve Nirvana.



3. Cafe Rio and Mountain Dew.
Okay this may not really be the 3rd food group, but it should be. What a wonderful place is Cafe Rio. It's just sad that I only ate there twice while in Utah last week. Oh how I pine for that place. That said the joy of Mountain Dew is ever present when traveling with Mr. John Ford Cooper. Ah what sweet wonder that stuff is. I think I should try to make Dew pops one of these days...




And now for one of the greatest songs ever:

9 comments:

m3ng said...

oh, how I love carny food. Wife is a sucker for funnel cake...

Alissa said...

did someone say funnel cake?!

dastew said...

wow I got spam botted!!! awesome. Goodbye spambot.

Jon & Chelle said...

I could sure go for a hot dog about now. With melted cheese on it like Mom used to make. Mmmmm.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I found a wonderful spot at the Annapolis harbor today where they sell foot long chili dogs. Mine came with lots of onions -- not quite Ernies but satisfying.

Mom said...

Thanks Stew. Now I have that dumb song stuck in by brain. It was great to see you guys even if it was only for a few minutes.

Roy @ CNM said...

I love that you took a picture of Cafe Rio...
And where does pie fit into this food pyramid?

dastew said...

I might have taken some creative license with public domain laws regarding that cafe rio picture (shhhh don't tell). In any case pie fits neatly in with carny food because I'd wager you can batter it and deep fry it.