Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Political Voyeurism



Okay you all know me well enough to know that I love politics. I think I might have mentioned before that I like it well enough to watch the election results show like most people watch a sporting event. We first went out for pizza then I settled in and watched the results coming in. You also know that Well you know that I'm practically a communist, but hey that's why I live in NY now and not in Utah. (Kendra we'll have to have a lesson about how you can only be a Rep. in upstate NY not down in the City next time we get together)

Let me start my results analysis by ranking the candidates based on their post election speeches.

1. Obama
2. Huckabee
2. Mitt
4. McCain
5. Clinton

Obama, as is his way, was compelling and inspiring. The cadence he uses is eerily reminscent of the Black churches and has a dramatic affect on his audience. He doesn't simply speak at them but engages them and makes them a participant in the speech in a way that not even Huck can. It always impresses me and I think that's why he's risen so far so fast.

I hate to admit it but Huckabee knows how to give a good sermon. He's the complete opposite of what I'm looking in a candidate, but man he was humble and riveting. He kept his audience riveted to his every word.

As to Mitt he probably would have would have taken second in the speech but he started it out like he was opening a board or church meeting, he got rolling there at the end but the beginning was pretty soft. To paraphrase the New Testament "almost doth he convince me to be a Republican".

McCain and Clinton both gave horrible speeches. Clinton's was infinitely worse than McCain's though. McCain's came off as patronizing and his awkward miss-kiss with his wife was some of the funniest political television I've seen. Clinton's was so much worse though. Her sound system was giving off feedback for much of the speech, she had to read her notes throughout, and there was nothing new to the speech it was simply her stump speech.

As to the results I'll give McCain the win on the Republican side. It's going to be hard for Huck or Mitt to stop him so long as they continue to split votes.

As for the Democrats I'll give Hillary credit for stemming the tide of the Barack surge but he was clearly the winner. He won across the country, Hillary only won places she lived, the states that bordered places she lived, and California. Her victories were largely smaller (besides AK and TN) than Barack's. He won from coast to coast and when he won it wasn't the small victories of the Clinton campaign they were huge landslides (except Mo. and Ct.). Expect Obama to win this weekend's primaries and after the Beltway primaries of DC, Maryland, and Virginia occur expect him to be either ahead or tied with Hillary in delegates.

Now maybe I can get some sleep.

8 comments:

Kendra Leigh said...

So I show up at the polls yesterday to be a good citizen and cast my vote (I'm not saying here who I voted for). I stepped into the booth and the little switch did not move making it impossible to record my vote. I stuck my head out and told one of the ladies there that the machine wasn't working. It created a flurry of activity and near panic as they thought their vote count was off and raced to check through all the cards they had collected. About 15 minutes later (as other people are gathering near the booth and waiting for their turns to vote) the one lady said to me, "Wait. Are you voting Democrat or Republican?" I CRINGED when I responded, "Uh,Republican?" (Just like that- in question form!) Sudden realization set in and everyone is telling everyone else, "She's republican! She's Republican!" Apparently, the booth has to be set to either Democrat or Republican so you can only vote for particular candidates. And, of course, I was the first (and probably ONLY) Republican they saw during the day. I picked up an elections form so that I can officially change my affiliation by November (since we probably won't be moving upstate by then). To independent. I hate parties. Now even more so! The little white girl from suburbia who lives in the 'hood but is STILL republican. That can't be going over well with my neighbors. I think I even caught myself apologizing! Anyway, I am not the only one this happened to- which makes me feel a little bit better.

Alissa said...

i can admit to loving barack based solely on his speeches... he rocks my world...

if it comes down to a obama/mccain race... i'll be voting for a democrat...

m3ng said...

What means "barack"?

I always feel bad during election time. I just don't feel informed enough to make a decision. I also have no party affiliation. That means I swing both ways.

Alissa said...

stew...matt just announced that he swings both ways...i think he's hitting on you...

dastew said...

Oh I thought he was saying you guys swing. I was grateful for once to live in NY, though maybe the Johansens.....

Tripp Family said...

I agree the Obama is always incredibly inspiring. I would definitely prefer him over Clinton. I may even vote for him over Old McCain...we'll see. Not that it'll much matter here in UT. I just have some major issues with McCain as you have read. I have to agree with Kendra on the hating parties thing. I hate how completely divided this country is. I feel like it's this war against each other. I hated how Obama attacked Clinton about mentioning Reagan. WHat is so wrong with mentioning a past pres. as being descent, even if he was in the opposite party? Anyways...happy you have posted some more for me to read!

dastew said...

Wasn't it the other way around on the Reagan thing? I hope so.

Jon & Chelle said...

McCain and his wife are creepy. She reminds me of Cruella Devill on 101 Dalmations, if they ever make a trip to UT Tink is NOT allowed outside. And for goodness sakes the man's like 70!