Sunday, February 03, 2008

Book clubs and doilies

I think we can all agree that when we hear the term "book club" we envision a group of women reading a Jane Austen novel, complaining about their husbands, and exchanging doilies (by the way I had no idea how to spell that, thank goodness for spell check). I know this is sexist, stereotypical, and ignorant but so am I. Of course one could take an opposite view of them and decide its more the rampant illiteracy among the male population that keeps them from starting book clubs, but that's just sexist so I won't suggest it.

That said I have to say if I was to suggest a book for a book club I'd recommend Neil Gaiman's Stardust. I know the movie starring Claire Dane's (who I've loved since My So Called Life, don't tell Wife) came out last year but I haven't seen it yet. Probably because we see about one movie a year.



The book is a wonderful genre straddling work that borders on that line between fantasy and fairytale. Gaiman's characters are wonderfully nuanced in that he doesn't assume them to be one dimensional like so many contemporary fiction writers. Not only that but he uses the idea of the unknown that's just out of site to create a world befitting any child's imagination. If you haven't had a chance to read it I highly recommend it. (Considering its fiction and I liked it, it must have been good....or I just have bad taste in fiction you decide.)


Now here's my favorite song off Amy Winehouse's album:


----------------
Now playing: The Pogues - A Pair Of Brown Eyes
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

Alissa said...

matt has seen stardust...i'm sure he'll have something to say.

Wife of dastew said...

Did Husband mention that he's in a bookclub? Because he is.

dastew said...

shhhh don't sissify me.

Kendra Leigh said...

abc.com now has episodes of my so called life online... i loved that show, too! and c.d.