Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Thank you BBC, you saved my oven!

So over the weekend we were flipping through stations and landed on the BBC (maybe BBC America, but that doesn't matter much). It was showing a show (go figure, I know) where two British women clean a disgustingly dirty house. This house was horrible. The wife was no longer living there, she was staying down the street at her mum's, taking care of the aged, leaving her husband in the horrible house alone. Now, I think we all know by now that a man, left to himself cannot keep it all that clean. I cleaned husband's bedroom and bathroom (yes, those were behind the chastity line, please don't tell my parents and mom, if you are reading this, it was David who was behind the line in some girl's apartment) and fridge while we were single and it almost got the wedding called off.
The episode made me feel pretty good about the cleanliness level in my own house, but husband had different ideas and thought it needed to be cleaned anyway. So, "Woman," he says, "get cleaning my house RIGHT NOW. But first, bring me some food, preferably some meat still on the bone. But then, get cleaning my house."
As part of our pre-Christmas cleaning, I turned the oven on self-cleaning. When it was done, all I had to do was wipe up the ash from the bottom and find a way to clean the window. Then I remembered that on the BBC cleaning show, the British women used ash to clean a window. Always one to trust the British, I used the ash I wiped up from the bottom of the newly cleaned oven on the window and wa la.
So now I can get back to cooking husband his food.

7 comments:

Alissa said...

genius!

you're a much better wife than I am...

Wife of dastew said...

Maybe but I didn't add the fact that I pretty much HAD to clean the oven on account of it started smoking from the apple pie stuffs that dribbled onto the bottom of said oven from the pie I made before Thanksgiving. A good three weeks ago.

Coops said...

... hmmm ... I should try some of those instructions on my Mrs Coops - if she complains I will just tell her that 'clearly' she doesn't love me as much as you love Stew ;)

Kendra Leigh said...

Did you learn the microwave cleaning trick? Put a bowl of hot water in the microwave and zap away until it is boiling. Let it sit in there (without opening the door) after, and it steams and loosens up all the junk all over the microwave. Then, just wipe clean.
Not that I'm a good housekeeper, by any means. I pretty much don't do it. Not worth it when the air you breath is a dirty as the river that flows by your city apartment....
Looking forward to seeing you!

dastew said...

See what happens when I'm away at YMs, Wife gets it in her head that she can leave the kitchen and use the computer. The audacity! :)

I'm not sure that will work on Noelle John but it's worth a try.

John, Megan and girls said...

Wow, I'm impressed you learned something from that show. I don't know that I would have tried the ash, it seems to go beyond reason that it would clean, but clearly, I'm not much of a cleaner myself. I'll have to try that. Now, I'll just stick to cooking meat for the husband.

Cami said...

lol - right on carolyn -