Sunday, July 15, 2007

Greatest Book Ever

And now to review the greatest book of all time:

The French translation title is slightly better. It is literally "About the Little Mole Who Wanted to Know Who Did it on his Head".

No this is not a story about a little mole who wanted to know if the government had branded him, or to find out if someone had put a chip in his brain. This is a story about a little mole with a problem that none of us wish to experience...well don't make me say it.

The plot of the book is straight forward. The unsavory event occurred to the unsuspecting mole while he was leaving the tunnels for some fresh air. Naturally traumatized he went in search of the culprit who dared to so...shall we say mark him?

The leads led the mole far and wide in an attempt to follow the clues to apprehend the suspect who so despoiled him. Yet he finds himself constantly waylaid by false hopes and false leads. No one seems to want or be able to help him. Finally the sad little mole is forced to turn to the most vile elements of the underbelly of society. Yet herein he finds the clues that lead to his redemption and revenge.

I believe there's a lesson in this. Too often we find ourselves looking toward those who put on an outward facade of knowledge but inwardly lack the understanding we need to overcome our difficulties. Only when we turn to those with real life experience can we discover how it came to be that we like our little mole...
got pooped on our head.



Now don't think that I'm going to keep posting at my current rate. I might take a couple months off who knows. To bide you over check out this video. It's my current favorite song, with a good Romeo and Juliet theme going on.

7 comments:

Panini said...

K :) It's going on the "to buy" list.

Mr Jo Bloggity said...

Both the book and the video seem rather odd. Very fitting, considering.

The video was well-done though. Interesting to follow the story through the song.

If you've got the book, I might borrow it the next time I come out.

Coops said...

I love this book, not sure that I would call it the 'Greatest'. I am sure that it has a slightly different English title in the UK, closer to the French?

Coops said...

Forget that, The UK English title is useless, someone obviously thought young English children were far too sensitive for even the tame US title. In the UK it is called 'The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business' Which without the picture on the front gives you no idea what the book is about. The only UK bonus is that they do a 'Plop Up Edition' which I am sure is well worth it!

dastew said...

Popup books are the best. We were once going to buy some friend "Kama Sutra the Popup Book" as a gag present. Then in a bizarre stroke I actually felt a little guilty about the idea? Who knew I had better judgment?

Coops said...

hmmm

Panini said...

I picked out a house for you - but alas, you haven't come to see it . . .