Wife here. I have been thinking about our satellite dish lately and while it may be more of an eyesore sitting on the roof of our house, we both agree that we love it and here's why.
1. BYUtv--Make fun if you like but I am able to live in upstate New York and still watch General Conference on my couch in my jammies, having woken up 10 minutes before the morning session begins (which, in upstate New York is noon, by the way). Also, where else can I see 'Saturday's Warrior' or 'Abinidi: The Opera.' Seriously, 'Abinidi: The Opera.' You can totally tell that its some TMA doctoral student's life work but it's Hilarious.
2. IMF--The International Music Feed. This is my source for all things cool music, where I discover new bands from the world over (mostly America and Great Britain). And since I listen to cool music, I am therefore still cool even though I will be married to a 30 year old in just a few short months. And I have IMF to thank for it.
3. Serious Satellite Radio and several CD all music stations--Radio with no commercials. Awesome for cleaning the house. I just set it on the 90's Alternative Rock station (you know, when music was good), turn up the surround sound speakers so it reverberates through the entire house and there's no stopping me. At least not until Law & Order comes on.
4. CSTV--College Sports television. We can still watch BYU sports and therefore our children will want to attend BYU (unless they see 'Abinidi: The Opera' and think that all of BYU is that lame) and as a parent who will help her children pay for college, this is good.
5. It doesn't really go out during bad weather like the cable commercials make it sound. We've watched on windy days and during New York snowstorms with no problems.
6. The Extras--like the Karaoke channel. Now I just need friends good enough to embarrass themselves like those who were there during that magical night in Provo so many years ago now.
7. All this for something like $45 a month. What a steal. Now I just have to convince my husband that an extra $5 a month for a DVR is worth it.
That is all. Now I think I'll go watch television.