Monday, February 05, 2007

SBTB III

Okay so I'm the world's worst blogger (except for all of my friends who's blogs I check faithfully every week only to find they don't post anything) you know who you are. In any case the month of January has come and gone I've posted nary a post, except for my trip recap. I suppose part of the problem is that the Europe trip was the highlight of my life and anything else I post would be anti-climactic.

Oh dear, Wife yells at me from the other room that I sure as hell better think that our wedding was the highlight of my life and not the trip...looks like I'm sleeping on the couch tonight. Which, by the way is number 2 on our list of ways not to get pregnant, number 1 is having a penis. That usually rules out pregnancy, well unless that National Enquirer article was telling the truth. But I digress.

In any event life has been good and wonderful and chilly here in our home of late. The cats have been friendly (yes it is possible), the weather has been freezing, and I've been baking more than I have in years. All in all things are going well.

The highlight of the last month's events has to be our annual Super Bowl party (registered trademark). Three years ago our dear friends the Shephards and us discussed putting together a holiday party for all our friends. The idea was that so many of our friends were far from their homes that it would be good fun to eat all together. I offered to bake a turkey and food assignments were made.

Sadly a tragedy interrupted our plans, my sister-in-law got married. Now that might sound harsh but it meant that our holiday party had to be postponed as we flew from the cold snowy climbs of the northeast to the not quite as cold but just as snowy climbs of northern Utah (because we can't go on winter holidays to places like Hawaii or Mexico like normal people). And so it went, each weekend some one's plans kept us from our get together, until finally we realized that the one weekend no one had plans was the greatest weekend of the year, Super Bowl weekend.

And so we planned a small little get together of ten or twelve friends. The kitchen of the hosts overflowed with rolls, stuffing, potatoes, desserts, and of course my turkey.

The first super bowl turkey bash was so successful that we had to repeat it the next year. SBTB II (Super Bowl Turkey Bash II) was similar though the party grew by a couple or two and the first child appeared.

Now once again tragedy struck. The host for the first two bashes moved (if only Albany had rent control). Where were we to find a new local for our annual event? Well it was decided that we were to host the party as our house was the most central location. Yet between SBTB II and SBTB III something else had happened. While some of our friends had moved even more had entered the circle of friends, and more disturbing some had started to procreate!!! So this year SBTB III, reached its highest attendance level ever 20 adults and 5 children. How does one feed that size of a crowd? Well a 20 pound turkey with two pans of potatoes, a thing of green bean casserole, a wonderful spinach artichoke dip, and nameless other sides and desserts helps.

The sad part is that there were more friends I felt bad for not including so next year we'll probably max out our SBTB IV at 30+ (assuming that our friends insist on continuing their breeding). I guess I'll have to feed them all an emu or ostrich or that'll have to be one hell of a turkey.

Oh and the game was okay I guess.

Also I have found out a few things about myself lately that I felt I should share:

1. I have a problem with authority. All of you who are reading this probably knew that though.
2. I need to move somewhere truly liberal. I've spent my entire adult life living in conservative areas (Utah and Upstate NY) and I'm becoming more and more liberal with each passing day. As manifest by my renting and agreeing with "An Inconvenient Truth" and "Who Killed the Electric Car" (both were very thought provoking though I thought the later a little less propaganda oriented).
3. I'm a very grumpy man.
4. Oh and I just learned that I evidently hate America...
Your 'Do You Want the Terrorists to Win' Score: 94%

You are a terrorist-loving, Bush-bashing, "blame America first"-crowd traitor. You are in league with evil-doers who hate our freedoms. By all counts you are a liberal, and as such clearly desire the terrorists to succeed and impose their harsh theocratic restrictions on us all. You are fit to be hung for treason! Luckily George Bush is tapping your internet connection and is now aware of your thought-crime. Have a nice day.... in Guantanamo!

Do You Want the Terrorists to Win?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


(I thought you all would like this. Thank you Sina for pointing it out.)

Well that's...sorry for how long a post it was today. Next week will be a recounting of the epic battle of Wife vs. the Albino Midgets...stay tuned.

Oh and if anyone is interested I'll try to get a post up about how to make the perfect turkey sometime soon, but only if you people are interested.

And here's the rest of our trip photos, peruse them at your leisure.

Girona
Scotland/Borderlands
Hadrian's Wall
Miscellaneous Shots

4 comments:

John said...

First, I blog all the time. I win.

Second, I don't believe you really have 20+ friends.

Third, Baking? Cooking Turkeys? Cats? Remind me which one of you is the woman?

Fourth, you can move to Mass. and pay a premium for being surrounded by liberals.

Fifth, I've never been to Spain. You win.

Ethan's Mom said...

Wow, my husband is mean! Somehow it makes me love him more.

I took that little quiz and decided that you and I should never talk politics. EVER! And I think we need to trade states.

La Yen said...

I hear you. W laughs because the further I get from Utah the more myself I feel--and that self is pretty liberal. Not as commie-Madonna-liberal as the likes of you, but liberal nonetheless.

And if we ever get together we will have a dinner to put all dinners to shame!

Panini said...

you're hilarious. and I love that test.