Thursday, October 19, 2006

Degrees of Separation

Well everyone sorry for the delay in putting out a new blog. The Bathrooms still a disaster, you can still see where I "fell through" the ceiling in the bedroom, and I've got a cold. Now that doesn't explain why we haven't posted anything in four weeks but since you all only check this blog once a month anyways it doesn't really matter to you. Of course I thought you'd like to see the before and after pictures. Wish I'd gotten one of Nate and I cutting the tub in half.





During the previously mentioned missionary reunion someone mentioned that one of our fellow missionaries was now married to Jeopardy star Ken Jennings. Later in talking with another friend, who happens to be a huge Jeopardy fan I passed this tidbit of information along creating a great impression.

This made me think of one of my favorite movies of all time, the Mel Brooks science fiction epic, Spaceballs. Okay perhaps it's not high theatre (notice how I spelled that the fancy British way with the -re? Impressed aren't you?), but it's still one of my favorite movies. And from that movie comes one of my favourite lines (still with the British...man I'm on a roll):
Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Now why is this quote pertinent? Well it's not really but in connection with the title of this post (for goodness sakes just scroll back to the top of the window to see what the title is, don't make me come out of this computer to tell you), I got thinking of my relation with people.

Did you know that I'm one degree of separation from NFL hall of famer Steve Young? It's true. I lived down the street from his sister and I knew a former youth leader from his church growing up. WOW! And that makes me two degrees of separation from Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and all sorts of NFL sacks. It's like I'm right there in the locker room isn't it?

Or perhaps you didn't know that I have high placed government ties. I'm one degree of separation from Mitt Romney, the governer of Massa...Masachu...Masechusates...you know that state with the high taxes. In fact I'm connected to him through two different friends. I bet you didn't know that I'm also one degree of separation from the current and future governor of New York.

More pertinent for the CIA and FBI officers reading this blog. There's one degree of separation between me and Kings of Morrocco and Jordan. And most damning of all there's only one degree of separation between me and Jacques Chirac the President of France. Vive la revolution...oh sorry my Marxist tendencies got the better of me.

I think I also only have a degree or two of separation from Clint Eastwood, the guys in Maroon 5, and the Pope (the last one, I'm not a big fan of the current one (oh and yes that is a complete lie)).

In any case you might ask how I'm benefitting from all of these superb contacts? Well let me go back to the rest of that Spaceball's quote:
Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Starr: What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing!

That's right I sort bottlecaps for a living!

Still I'd feel bad for using my connections, it's not like I really want to take over the world.......or do I?

And now for our song recommendation of the day: "It Could Have Been a Brilliant Career" by Belle & Sebastian.

No comments: