Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Idea Guy

Okay here's the problem. I'm not really much of a planner. I hate to admit it but it's true. That said I am what one could consider an idea man. I enjoy bouncing off the wall ideas around. The Good Lord only knows how many brilliant multi-million dollar companies I've created when just talking to friends about my wacky ideas. The sad part is that I lack the follow through and commitment to really make anything of those ideas. In fact pretty much the only things I've been able to really follow through with in life are my commitments to my cats and to my wife (not necessarily in that order).

However as the idea guy every now and then you find yourself in a situation where people call your bluff. Where you make some outlandish proposal to a friend and they say those dreaded words "That's a great idea, let's do it". How do you respond to that? Well if you're me you just look at them with an expression of abject horror on your face wondering what you've just unleashed on the earth. Even more frightening is the fact that usually it's the idea guy who bares the brunt of things when someone calls your bluff.

Such is the situation I face this weekend. Several months ago a good friend of mine from my time as a missionary in France (What I haven't told you about that yet? Oh that'll be another blog another day.) called me up. He was making the big move from Oklahoma to NYC and wanted some advise. Now I've never lived in NYC but as a New Yorker I'm loathe to admit my ignorance. And so I say "Sure that'll be awesome to have you so close. You guys want to come up one of these weekends? Maybe we can get some more of our old missionary buddies together for a sort of mini-reunion."

Now when these words left my house I thought of two other people at most, and if I could keep my mouth shut that's all there would have been, but no I just can't let people feel left out! So now I have friends flying in from England and driving down from Canada to spend a weekend doing heaven knows what in my dinky little split level ranch house. I think at last count we were up to about 10 gazillion people making the trek and planning on sleeping in one of our four bedrooms. It'll be tight but we'll make it work I'm sure.

So that's it for today. I figured I'd give you warning when my post for next week is a profanity laced tirade about how I hate having guests because it keeps me from peeing with the bathroom door open. Until then....our featured song of the day is: "Smile" by the Jayhawks. This is a classic anthem by one of the greatest country rock bands of all time. I highly recommend checking out their album of the same name.

2 comments:

Alissa said...

ooh! sounds fun! i can't wait to hear how it went.

also. someday, matt and I hope to be your neighbors... or at least within walking distance. brings back great memories, doesn't it?

SomePeople said...

by the way I should mention my wife tells me our house is a raised ranch not a split level. I know there's a difference but I always get the two confused.